Anim8or Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

An update to Anim8or, v1.00b, is available with a few bug fixes. Get your copy HERE. See the "ReadMe" file for details.

Author Topic: Experimential Track Ball for Arc Rotate  (Read 47 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Experimential Track Ball for Arc Rotate
« on: Yesterday at 09:51:30 pm »

I just uploaded Build v1.01.1306 to get some feedback on using a Track Ball for the Arc Rotate widget. It allows finer control of rotation in various axes, and in either Screen coordinates or World/Object coordinated depending on that setting.

I'm attempting to make Arc Rotate work better with touch screens. Needing 3 mouse buttons doesn't work so well on them.

My opinion so far: rotation is easier but panning and zooming is a bit harder. I'm experimenting with other ways to do these, maybe using the right mouse button to pan, but that would defeat the original purpose.

You can revert to the original Arc Rotate by checking Options->Debug->Use Original Arc Rotate

Let me know what you think.

Kyle

• View Profile
Re: Experimential Track Ball for Arc Rotate
« Reply #1 on: Today at 05:42:08 am »

This probably doesn't count as a touch screen in the more common sense, but I use a Cintiq. The rotation seems...disorienting to me. If I change the Y rotation then switch to an X rotation its as if I'm tilting my head slowly to the side, which I would never want.

And while a right click wouldn't really work when using fingers, it would be good for me as I always have two buttons on the stylus, with one assigned to a right click.
« Last Edit: Today at 05:43:03 am by Kyle »

johnar

• Make it, Move it--Give it Life
    • View Profile
    • youtube vids
« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:26:31 am »

Don't know about touch screens, but it certainly works well with a mouse ........ Nice one steve
%

V

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:58:51 am »

MHO:
 Necessity to aim at specific places and transform only along the axes feels annoying for me now.
 Dropping of transforms when cursor goes off buffer to UI (up/down in most) too.
 The choice of the right viewpoint has become more clear with world space .. em.. gizmo - is good.

Sluggs

• Anim8or user since May 2004
    • View Profile
    • Satans-Comrade
« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:37:59 pm »

It's a neat addition to the original!