Anim8or Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

An update to Anim8or, v1.00b, is available with a few bug fixes. Get your copy HERE. See the "ReadMe" file for details.

Author Topic: Trouble with the shell function  (Read 140 times)

EnglishBob

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
    • Morphography
Trouble with the shell function
« on: October 31, 2017, 04:32:04 pm »

VERY happy to see version 1 released at last - I've been using Anim8or since 0.6... :)

One problem I'm having with the latest version is with the shell function. When I apply it to a single-sided object which has shelled fine in previous versions, random spikes appear (see attached screenshot). Some of the new vertices appear to have been created a long way off their intended position. Simple primitive shapes seem to be all right, but more complex ones are not; I haven't worked out what makes the difference. It happens on a range of machines, mostly Windows 7 with one Windows 10, and is still there in the latest 1.00b release. I can go back to 0.98 and the same object shells as it always has.

Before I raise this with Steve, I thought I'd check to see if anyone else had seen the problem?
Logged

Steve

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1532
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with the shell function
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 12:12:08 am »

I made some changes to the Shell tool to create more uniform thickness in the walls. I suspect that there might be an issue with that. Can you send me an example?
Logged

EnglishBob

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
    • Morphography
Re: Trouble with the shell function
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 09:53:32 am »

Thanks Steve! I've e-mailed an example to the support address.
Logged

Steve

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1532
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with the shell function
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 03:57:04 am »

EnglishBob I've posted a fix for this problem. There was a similar problem with the ExtrudeConnected command. This fixes

#100-014 - Shell and Extrude Connected commands can cause spikes.

Try this build 1309 out and let me know how it works.

I'll post more on what's going on tomorrow when I have more time.
Logged

EnglishBob

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
    • Morphography
Re: Trouble with the shell function
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 09:52:48 am »

That works for me! I hadn't had cause to use ExtrudeConnected yet on the 1.00 release, but I've tried that now and confirm that it also seems to be fixed - on a sample of one, anyway. :)

Thanks for the speedy fix!
Logged