Anim8or Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ian Ross has just released a book on Anim8or. It's perect for a beginner and a good reference for experienced users. It contains detailed chapters on every aspect, with many examples. Get your own copy here: "Anim8or Tutorial Book"

Author Topic: Selection in Object/Edit mode  (Read 5109 times)

maxxarcher

• View Profile
Selection in Object/Edit mode
« on: June 27, 2008, 09:09:15 am »

Hi Steve,

Ive been using Anim8or off and on since version 6.something and always wondered why selection of an object gets switched off when an edit button gets selected. Currently Im toying around with a lot of small objects trying to create a mockup for a real-world project Im working on. Lots of moving and resizing going on, meaning either a lot of keyboard handling or a mouse pointer running around the screen jumping back and forth between selection/editing buttons and objects.
Why not have the selection mode always active, next to a selected edit mode? It seems obvious to me that when an object has already been selected, the selected edit mode is active. When not selected, selection takes place. Extra option: when both selection buttons are depressed, the edit mode is locked and accidental re-selection is not possible.

I always ignored this logic, until I had a shoulder operation last week which immobilizes my left arm for the time being. The keyboard/mouse handling suddenly becomes quit obvious...

Cheers, Maxx

xalener

• View Profile
Re: Selection in Object/Edit mode
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 12:58:46 am »

I don't know. That would be a pretty drastic change to a UI that a lot of people are occustomed to. I'm sure newbies and pro's alike will be confused.

maxxarcher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 07:03:41 am »

Drastic? Hardly I think, it would actually be more intuitive and userfriendly. Moreover, most 3D (and 2D) programs/suits work like this, which would make life another bit easier when switching between programs...

hihosilver

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 02:04:46 pm »

maxxarcher:  My guidance for now would be to keep your left hand on the ctrl and shift keys.  If you press "ctrl + shift", anim8or will switch to the select tool as long as you hold it down.  It's really useful.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 05:02:56 pm »

When I first started working on Anim8or, selection was always on similar to what you suggest.  But a lot of people had problems with it, especially beginners.  For example, they'd carefully select some faces and then try to apply a tool.  But if they missed a selcted face instead of using the tool Anim8or would drop the existing selections and select the new face.  So I changed it.  Now you know if you're selecting or editing and can't do the wrong thing.

thecolclough

• 3D Ignoramus 1988-2002, Anim8or User 2002-present.
    • View Profile
    • www.mattghc.com
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 06:48:44 am »

how about a switchable selection-always-on mode for people whose left hand has been disabled for some reason or another, eg. maxxarcher?  i wouldn't use it myself normally, but if other people want it then it might be worth looking in to ;)

- colclough